976 price

Steve Gordon steve at media-phile.com
Wed Apr 15 15:21:16 EDT 2009

I have an idea.  It might sound complicated, but I'll just put it out there.

Let's run with the notion that founding members are acting as a bank.  If
one member fronts $5,000, that amount can be amortized over 10 years at say
8% interest.  The payment on such a loan would be about $60.66 per month.
If that member leaves the club before the end of 10 years, then the club
will not pay back the remainder of the $5,000 in one lump sum.  The club
would send the member a check for $60.66 per month for the remainder of the
loan and the club's monthly dues are reassessed (which will be the case
whenever membership grows or shrinks).  Alternatively, the member has the
right to sell his "note" to another member wishing to join the club.

This scheme would require two levels of membership - those who are lien
holders and those who are not.  Those who are lien holders would pay monthly
dues that are approximately $60.66 cheaper than those members who are not
lien holders.  In this way we can accommodate new members who did not
contribute to the upfront costs while being fair to those members who did
contribute.

Like I said, it's complicated.  However, it does give us a way to raise the
upfront costs while not making the group vulnerable to large special
assessments.

-Steve