ideas [was Re: ]

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Wed May 6 15:03:49 EDT 2009

Bob Irving writes:
> Has anyone come up with any more ideas ?  It has been pretty quiet these
> past few weeks.

Given the discussions we've had so far, I think our best bets are to
explore a new airplane, funded in one of two fairly similar (and not
necessarily mutually-exclusive) ways:

  - A group of 3 or 4 of us chip in a substantial amount each as a
    loan to the club.  The club pays us back at some "standard" rate
    (say, 8% over 15 years).  Those payments become the "note," and
    the total contributions are used to buy something we can all agree
    on.

  - A group of 3 or 4 of us agree to be the co-signers for a loan from
    some standard place (BoA seems like it), and the loan payments are
    made by the club (and guaranteed by this small group), and the
    proceeds are used for a new plane.

The two can be combined.  We could have members who either chip in or
secure a portion of the loan or both.  Those who agree to help out
here are signing up for the long term.

I have reason to believe that in a few weeks, I'll have a small pile
that I can use for this, and that I wouldn't mind having tied up for a
while.

Any others?