today's meeting

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Sat Nov 14 14:13:22 EST 2009

Bill, Bob, and I sampled the fine cuisine at Joe's this afternoon, and
talked about airplanes and schedules.

The consensus so far is a club with around four or five members
(depending on what we can find), with an IFR-certified 172 (or 4-seat
equivalent), and buying the craft outright if at all possible, with
individual buy-ins to purchase in the $10-15K region.

We need to consider whether to have a partnership (tenants-in-common) or
a corporation.  In the latter case, we need to research any issues that
we'll need to deal with -- such as airport owner's rules, fees, and
limitations.  There are both advantages and disadvantages each way.

The immediate plan is to do some searching to find potential planes over
the next few weeks.  To that end, I'll set up a web page with links for
any URLs or tail numbers that folks send me so that we can track our
options.

It seems that the requirements for the search are to stay within the
$15K per-person budget, IFR capabilities, dual digital radios and VORs
with GS (at least).  GPS highly desirable, even if not certified.

Bob has an issue to resolve in the next few weeks, after which he'll be
able to make the go/no-go decision on the club and the airplane, so we
agreed that we shouldn't try to make a choice before then.

The goal is to have something together some time in the next few months.

That's the short summary of the meeting among the three of us, and I
know we're not the whole group.  Anyone on the list who has other needs
or limits should certainly speak up.  In the end, it'll be valuable to
have consensus, and that means setting as broad a range of acceptable
outcomes as each of us can.