More about the last scenario

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Sat Aug 14 16:46:31 EDT 2021

I've read through the Pilot Workshop discussion about this scenario and
about the issues behind it, and I figured it required an update.

One issue to consider is that until you're established on a published
segment, you can't descend from the altitude they give you.  So, if you
do go for the VTF line given by the Garmin unit, you'll need to pay
close attention to crossing HAREK.  (Granted, with the position of the
aircraft and the vector given, that should be a fraction of a second in
this particular case, but there could be a different scenario when it's
not.)

Another is that they can't vector you directly to the FAF on a GPS
approach unless you're doing a procedure turn or HILPT.  There are other
places they can't vector you towards, notably any fix that either
starts, ends, or is inside a RF (curved) segment (7110.65Z 4-8-1(i)(3)).
  You can fly RF segments as long as your installation allows it (many
now do), but must start the approach elsewhere.

Based on that restriction, an interpretation of that "intercept the
final approach course" instruction where you turn towards the airport on
the extended runway centerline via the FAF seems suspicious to me,
because you wouldn't actually be established on the approach until the
FAF, and that means this extended centerline sounds very much like a
vector ... and a vector that's not allowed for this kind of approach.

This leaves either intercepting the course given by Garmin (and, unknown
to our scenario pilot, the one also expected by ATC), or intercepting
whatever segment is ahead on our assigned vector, or asking for
clarification and/or a direct-to fix on the approach.  There are a lot
of cases where just doing what the box says is not the best idea, but in
this case I think it's a good option.  Particularly so given that in
order to vector an aircraft to a final approach course, ATC must have
that course depicted on their scope, and that happens to match what
Garmin shows.

I suspect this is a scenario where there's no perfectly satisfying
answer -- especially given the lack of other references for this
particular and unusual case -- but it does raise some issues worth
considering.