Update on the test coverage

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon Aug 29 10:59:12 EDT 2016

Now that the test has gone live, we have some new information on the
test coverage to share with you.  Our future classes will include
sections on this information, and we'll be updating the materials for
the class shortly.  As we mentioned during class, you may sit in on
other classes if you wish -- just let Steve Cunningham or Daniel St. Cyr
know.

The two areas with added focus are Chart Supplements and Aeromedical
factors.  We talked about Chart Supplements in class, and described how
they have a lot of details about airport facilities -- many things that
are not included on the charts (maps) themselves.  The test includes
questions that require you to read Chart Supplement pages.  In
FAA-CT-8080-2G:

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf

You should review Legend 2 and Legend 3 in particular.  The rest of the
Legends (4-19) contain supplemental information that is a bit easier to
read and less likely to be a factor.  Some notes:

 - The top section has the airport name and identifier (1, 2, 3 by the
   numbered parts of Legend 2).  Legends 4-7 describe the information
   there in much greater detail.  Refer to those during the test to
   help answer questions about the chart.

 - The next part is all about the runways and a small diagram of the
   airport.  "H12004X200" means a hard-surfaced runway that is 12,004
   feet long and 200 feet wide.  The code letters (MALSF, TDZL, REIL)
   are lighting systems.  Again, the subsequent "Legend" text describes
   all of these, and you should refer to it during the test as needed.

 - The rest should be fairly straightforward.  It shows remarks and
   frequencies for various services.  The "radio aids" are just the
   nearby navigation sites that we talked about in class (VORs and
   NDBs).  They're listed here just because they're near the airport
   and can be used by pilots to help locate the airport.

For aeromedical factors, I recommend reading Chapter 17 of the Pilot's
Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (30 pages):

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/19_phak_ch17.pdf

Obviously, since you won't be on board your craft, it's fairly clear
that a lot of this material doesn't apply to your operation of sUAS.  I
frankly do not know what the FAA's goal is in including this
information.  But, since we now know that it's on the test, we recommend
that you take some time to study it.