Thank you for attending

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Sun Aug 6 17:34:23 EDT 2017

Links for the materials used in the presentation as well as background
information are here:

  http://www.workingcode.com/UAS/

Included on that list are the AKTS (the test supplement booklet that
you'll have for the exam; worth at least a glance) and the actual text
of 14 CFR Part 107.  For additional materials, the FAA web site is good,
as are the Gleim study books (available from many places on line).

As described in class, I will send you the answers to the take-home exam
if you want, or I can correct your answers for you if you send them to
me.  Your choice.  If you have questions about any part of the exam (or
the course itself), please feel free to drop me a line or call (+1 978
873 0507).  If you work at getting a good score on this practice test,
you should do very well on the exam itself.

Your next step is to sign up with the FAA's IACRA web site:

  https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/Default.aspx

You will need to have an account on that site (with your basic
information, such as mailing address) in order to apply for the
certificate after passing the test.  When you sign up to take the test,
they'll ask you whether you've signed up with IACRA yet.  It's easy to
do, so do it now.  (It's theoretically possible to apply by mail, but
it's extremely slow.  I don't recommend it.)

There are always a few things I feel I could have explained better
during the course.  One is the makeup of the test itself.  The FAA has a
big bank of questions that it uses for all of its testing -- sport
pilots, private, commercial, airline transport, and so on.  It selects
questions based on code numbers that reflect a knowledge area, and each
test has a certain number of questions randomly selected from each area
as appropriate for the test.

It wouldn't have been possible for the FAA to come up with wholly new
questions just for UAS applicants, so they came up with a representative
mix of questions out of the general bank for all pilots.  That's why you
may see questions that are directly applicable to UAS pilots and others
that are much less so.  This is why you have to study some things, such
as aeromedical factors, that don't seem to be necessary.

I hope that makes it a little clearer.

Many thanks for the comments on the questionnaire.  This is very
valuable for us going forward.  We'll definitely put work into making
better materials available.

If a long period of time elapses between this class and when you
actually schedule your test, and you wish to take the class again to
freshen up, contact Steve or Amy to schedule that.  They allow previous
students to sit in on future classes free of charge.

Finally, good luck!