Procedures update: getting a clearance

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Tue Jan 10 15:11:53 EST 2017

One of the attendees from our last class brought to my attention that
the clearance rules have changed since the section on ATC clearances was
written.  This message should help clarify the current state of the rules.

As you should recall, if you're operating in any area where controlled
airspace (B, C, D, or E) extends to the surface, then specific ATC
clearance is required.  This requirement is in 14 CFR 107.41.  Back when
the course materials were written, this was proposed as a regular ATC
clearance.  That's no longer the case.  Instead, you must request a
specific waiver from that rule.  The new web site to do that is:

  https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/

This is also the site to use if you need a waiver from altitude, speed,
or other rules.  Do read the instructions before submitting a request.

If you're operating near an airport that has uncontrolled (Class G)
surface area, then you're required to avoid "interfering" with
operations at the airport.  That's 14 CFR 107.43.  I recommend
contacting the airport manager (listed in the ownership records) or
talking with a local FBO (fixed base operator) to learn the particular
local practices: traffic patterns, frequencies in use, and any other
special procedures or events (such as fly-in events or meetings).

You should get an official briefing before each flight, so that you have
an applicable weather report and a current set of NOTAMs (including
TFRs) that might affect the flight, and so that the information you get
is logged for legal protection.  To do that, you should register with:

  https://www.1800wxbrief.com/

Registration and use are free and quite easy.  According to AC 107-2,
the FAA wants to discourage you from using the telephone service.  I
would still recommend it if (for some reason) you are not in a position
to use the web site above.

  https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/AC_107-2_AFS-1_Signed.pdf

The complete set of 14 CFR 107 rules is in the last six pages of this
152 page document:

  https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-06-28/pdf/2016-15079.pdf

Or you can get an extract with just 14 CFR 107 here:

  http://www.workingcode.com/UAS/Part107.pdf