180 HP Engine in 081?

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Thu Apr 16 11:40:29 EDT 2009

Steve Gordon writes:
> Just curious. would there be any interest in installing a 180HP engine in
> 081 when it reaches TBO?  Apparently Penn Yan offers an upgrade
> <http://65.182.223.9/pages/cms/display.php?id=35>  package.  If you believe
> their marketing spiel, it's an easy upgrade.   I don't know what it would
> cost.

The cost (it seems to run around $20K) and performance improvements
seem nice, but the AOPA reported boost to 15GPH during break-in and
promised 10GPH afterwards needs to be factored in.

I'm in favor, if only because flying with two kids and two adults on
board in the summer is an important goal for me.