Time for a vote on 081?

Steve Gordon steve at media-phile.com
Thu Apr 16 23:16:36 EDT 2009

I did about a third of my primary training in 081.  I have never had a
problem with the radios except that they are not digital - they are old
style mechanical dials with no flip-flop.  Don't know about the IFR
standing, but I'd would expect a fresh IFR certification from Eagle.  VORs
work fine.  I've never shot an approach in that aircraft.  I would not want
to do anything with the paint if it's just faded and ugly (not worth putting
lipstick on that pig IMO).   If the paint is cracked or chipping, then we'd
be foolish not to paint.  Good question about the 10 year time limit - don't
know.  It could be past TBO already.  Don't know about the prop.  Mags are
replaced relatively frequently, are they not?  I thought I read somewhere
that mags and vacuum pumps should be changed every 100 hours, but that
sounds excessive.  Don't know about the logs.  The interior was in better
shape than 976 the last time I flew it (which was before 976 got a new seat
covers).  I'd give it a 6-7 considering it's a 35 year old plane.

Any of the concerns you raise could tip the scales towards increasing our
costs which already seem to be at or even beyond our personal limits for
this aircraft.  My decision making was predicated on the terms set forth by
Sean and Tim: $38K with 15% down financed for 5 years at 8.5%.  At those
terms I'd need to see at least 15 members to share the costs and make it
worthwhile for me.  We can always offer less for 081, but if we do we should
probably be reasonably sure we want to more forward if Eagle accepts the
offer.

What does all of this add up to?  Some of us are right on the border of
their price tolerance for 081 and some of us are already past their
tolerance.  Costs are more likely to go up than go down before the end of
the deal which will probably push some of us over our tolerance.  In my
estimation it doesn't look like 081 is going to be feasible.

-Steve