Thank you!

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Thu Aug 10 08:24:50 EDT 2017

Many thanks to our guest speaker, Linda.  She gave an engaging overview
of the challenges involved in travel to Cuba, the wonderful things to
see, and did it with humor and insight.  It's greatly appreciated.

Thanks as well to club member Tom Quail who put this together.

Here's a transcribed version of the "requirements" slide that she presented:

  Liability insurance to fly to Cuba -- STAR or USAIG -- roughly $100
  more to cover Cuba.

  General tourism is strictly prohibited
    Visa for 1 of authorized 12 reasons
      People to People Education -- 8 hr/day learning

  Survival gear -- life vest for each person -- a raft is not required

  Landing permit to land in Cuba

  And the usual border crossing requirements and airports of entry
    eAPIS -- manifest for the aircraft and people on board
    Calling customs to enter Cuba and to come back to the USA
    Discrete transponder code for each border crossing

  IFR flight plan on airways at 8,000 ft or above -- no VFR plans

  Charts -- IFR, low enroute, approach plates -- preferably in English.

I believe the site she mentioned was this one:

  http://www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com/