Thank you for attending

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Tue Oct 29 18:42:12 EDT 2019

Thanks for attending today's class.

The slides and links to other resources are here:

  http://www.workingcode.com/UAS/

For the take-home test, you'll need the "Knowledge Test Supplement"
linked at the site above, or available directly from the FAA.

 https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/supplements/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf

Because everyone asked for it in class, here are the answers to the
take-home practice test:

 1.  C      11.  C      21.  B      31.  A
 2.  B      12.  C      22.  C      32.  A
 3.  B      13.  C      23.  C      33.  A
 4.  B      14.  C      24.  C      34.  A
 5.  C      15.  A      25.  B      35.  A
 6.  A      16.  A      26.  C      36.  B
 7.  C      17.  A      27.  A      37.  A
 8.  A      18.  C      28.  A      38.  B
 9.  B      19.  B      29.  A      39.  A
10.  C      20.  C      30.  A      40.  A

If you need to discuss any of the questions or answers, let me know and
I'll be happy to work through it with you.

As mentioned in class, there may be some questions on the actual test
about aeromedical factors.  I recommend reading through chapter 17 of
the "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge:"

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/

It's only 30 pages, and if you want you can skip the parts about optical
illusions and pilot medical certificates.  Drop me a line if you have
any questions about this or anything else related to the test.

You should sign up for IACRA as soon as possible.  You'll need an
account on this FAA web site in order to apply for the certificate after
passing the written test:

  https://iacra.faa.gov/

Here's a set of METAR and TAF codes.  You can find many other references
by plugging in "METAR and TAF codes" into your favorite search engine.

  https://www.weather.gov/media/wrh/mesowest/metar_decode_key.pdf

Here's another site that has good information about the codes:

  https://aviationweather.gov/static/help/taf-decode.php

You do NOT need to know all of those codes to succeed on the test.
Knowing a handful will suffice.  Here are a few good ones to know:

  RA - rain
  SN - snow
  FG - fog
  BR - mist
  TS - thunderstorm
  CB - cumulonimbus
  GR - hail

Here are some other sites you should know about.  AirNav has detailed
information about airports, including telephone numbers:

  http://www.airnav.com/

SkyVector has free aeronautical charts (maps):

  https://skyvector.com/

You can get waivers and authorizations from the FAA's "drone zone" web site:

  https://faadronezone.faa.gov/

Feel free to contact me if you need more information or resources.
There's a great deal of information available out there, much of it
high-quality and free.  In particular, it's worth going through the
FAA's main web site.  They publish an amazing amount of information.

  https://www.faa.gov/

Good luck on the test!