081 proposal from EE

Todd Brooks toddmbs at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 23:20:48 EDT 2009

I think with either 976 or 081, we'll be getting animal just different issues.  Personally, I am a fan of 081 only because of the feel of the controls and the comms;  but with 976, we could take possession of it "clean", as opposed to 081 would be off the line in a year or so (probably next summer).  So, if I had to choose one, I guess I'd stick with 976.

The biggest hurdle is clearly the upfront cost, and EE financing is making it look more and more unattractive with every report we get.  $15,000 isn't a bad price for the engine at all.  As for the rest of it however, I think he is trying to cover their book value at $35,000 as opposed to it's market value (because I still can't believe that it is worth that much).  But maybe I'm wrong.  So tell me I'm actually off with the value.

Since it's appearant that they have us hooked and are now trying to encourage us to just buy the plane, I will throw that option out there.  Because, if they want us to pay $33,000, why wouldn't we just pay $50,000 and be done with it?  Unfortunately, the more upfront cost there is, the fewer of us will join in, which will conversely raise the upfront cost.  I also don't think 20 people want a 1/20th share of a 1975 trainer plane anyway.

So, here's the idea I'll just throw out: two of us can buy the plane straight out and sell it back to the club at 6% (basically do what we thought EE was going to do but aren't).  This works two-fold.  Not only will it make it simple for the club to take memberships at a lower buy-in and increase the chances for success, it also takes the group pockets out of the negotiations.  They'd only be dealing with two buyers instead of multiple buyers with multiple pockets.  Those two buyers also become competetition if they are serious about financing at 8%.

Well?  Thoughts?

Todd