survey

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Sat Apr 11 09:39:24 EDT 2009

Steve Gordon writes:
> My idea for the survey was that for each price bracket, we would gauge how
> many members our club can expect, and therefore how much the one-time and
> monthly dues will be.  For example, if only the seven of us are interested
> in a Cardinal, then we'd know that we'll each have to contribute about
> $1,500 down and then about $200/month thereafter (assuming we'd want to keep
> such a beautiful plane in a hangar).  If, however, we find a total of 15
> interested members, we can cut those numbers in half making the Cardinal a
> more affordable prospect.

That's exactly what I was hoping for.  We need to have a gauge on how
many are interested, and there are multiple variables.  It's not just
"are you interested?" but "given a certain airplane and a certain set
of costs, would you be interested?"

In other words, we can't just ask "how interested are you?"  I don't
think that answers the question we have, and it's a little too vague
for prospective members ... they could all say "definitely" and then
find out that the gang of six wants to splurge on a P210 because we
like flying higher.  They'd drop out quickly, and the club wouldn't
work.  (Unless I've got money I don't know about.  ;-})

For some, the acute choice comes down to the cost, and little else
matters.  For some, it's the airplane.  For others, it's a
combination.

I don't think we're asking people to choose a particular single plane
right now, just something in the right neighborhood.  Once we know
what ballpark we're in, and roughly how many players we can expect, we
can start the _real_ shopping.